This one day training course will provide attendees with the tools and techniques to overcome the challenges of a virtual manager. They will be provided with practical tips to help them lead effectively, communicate successfully and consequently increase the performance of their virtual or remote team.
Managing Virtual Teams has become a hot topic over the last few years. People are now much more likely to work from home, from their car, at alternative locations, or even on the other side of the world, which means managers might rarely see them.
Consequently, managers that are asked to lead these virtual teams not only face the usual leadership dilemmas, they also have to be able to adapt to these challenges in an environment where the rules have changed.
Managing virtual teams requires a different approach. It means developing new skills, communication methodologies and techniques to get the best out of teams and improve organisational and personal performance.
- What is a Virtual Team? – Providing the scope and broad definitions of various situations that constitute managing a virtual or remote team.
- Benefits and Challenges – Identifying the benefits and challenges that face a manager of a virtual team and suggesting the mindset that a virtual manager needs to develop.
- Competencies and Skills – Establishing the competencies and skills of a virtual manager and acknowledging where there may be development opportunities.
- Virtual Team Case Study, Part One – The first part of a case study that follows Steve on his virtual team management journey. What challenges and opportunities are there for Steve with his new team?
- Building a Virtual Team – What does a virtual team require from their manager to be a success, and what ground rules should be set?
- Virtual Team Case Study, Part Two – How should Steve set up his initial meeting with his team? What should be included, and how should he approach this?
- Working on Trust – What traits build trust in a virtual team, and how can the participants demonstrate this with their teams?
- Using Technology Effectively – Reviewing the tools available to the virtual manager and knowing which tool is better to use for each situation.
- Virtual Team Case Study, Part Three – How can Steve resolve the challenges that he is facing with his virtual team? What should he do, and how could he have avoided them in the first place?
- Communication Skills – What is the best practice of communication with a virtual team, and how can we ensure our communication approach is effective?
- Feedback Skills – Understanding the purpose and guiding principles of feedback and developing an approach to feedback preparation.
- Virtual Team Case Study, Part Four – What can Steve do to resolve the problem of a poorly performing virtual employee? How could he have avoided the problem in the first place?
- Managing Performance from a Distance – How to monitor virtual work, set goals and provide effective reviews without micromanaging or losing control of the team.
- Session Recap – An activity review of the core elements of the training course ready to feed into the personal action plan.
Who should attend
Managers who have recently taken on a virtual team, or managers with existing virtual teams who want to become more effective
Requirements for attendees
Supervisory management experience is beneficial.