This one day course will provide attendees with both the knowledge to appreciate the reasoning behind what we might consider difficult behaviour as well as the communication tools to manage and overcome difficult behaviours in the workplace.
The training course materials act as a great tool for self-awareness and will help develop the communication skills of anyone that attends.
The modern work environment places many demands on the Manager, not least the need to treat ‘difficult’ employees with the same care and respect afforded to those who are less demanding. Recognising and understanding the cause or causes of this behaviour, and the Manager’s self-awareness of their own behaviour and its impact, are vital in the fight to create a working environment where everyone is treated equally and are afforded the same opportunities.
- Issues, Causes & Consequences of Difficult Types – A look at how issues arise and our own part in this
- Difficult Behaviour Types – A review of the different types we are likely to come up against and how we might deal with them
- About You – Acknowledging that our own behaviour plays a part in how others respond
- Our Two Minds – A look at our rational and emotional mindsets, how they work and how we can face an ’emotional hijack’ at times
- Stimulus & Response – Demonstrating that we do have the ability to choose our response and ultimately influence the outcome of communication
- Attitude & Behaviour Cycle – How our attitude affects our behaviour and in turn other peoples attitude and behaviour
- Triggers – Determining what ‘sets people off’ and how to avoid the pitfalls
- Communication – A look at the barriers to communication, whether a discussion is based on fact or feeling and choosing the best behavioural approach to deal with each
- Managing Expectations (Emotional Bank Account) – Building a positive basis for relationships and so improving communication with all
- Defusing & Calming – Looking at how situations escalate and methods of ensuring communication takes place from a positive position
- Managing Behaviour Practice – A chance to put all the tools learnt into practice with a full review of the approach
Although this course has been designed with Managers in mind, the content is suitable for anyone that might have to deal with ‘difficult’ behaviours or be placed in situations where they have to influence and adapt to other people.
Who should attend
Anyone who might have to face ‘difficult’ behaviours or be placed in sitations where they have to influence and adapt to other people.
Requirements for Attendees
Prior experience of difficult behaviours in a particular situation are beneficial for self-reflection, but not essential.