This one day training course is suitable for anyone in a management or leadership role. Attending this course will help you learn that there are some simple techniques and processes that can be followed to help make leadership simpler. It also demonstrates that leadership is all about getting things done through people and focuses on three main practical management techniques that will help managers get the best out of their team.
One Minute Managers are able to focus on getting greater results in less time. The idea focuses on three key elements of management, which are…
- Setting one-minute goals
- Giving one minute ‘praises’
- Providing one minute ‘redirects’
One Minute Goal setting is about being aware of what is expected from the beginning. One Minute Goal setting is so called because it should take only one minute to be able to read the goal.
The second step in one minute management is to catch people doing something right. This is when the One-Minute Praises are given. One Minute Praises are so called because it hardly takes a minute for you to tell someone that he or she did a good job.
One Minute Redirects are given as soon as an employee is not meeting their goals or is doing something wrong. One Minute Redirect has two parts. The first half includes telling the person that what they did was wrong, how you feel about it and then let it sink in. Then in the second half, you tell the person how much you think they are capable of and how much you value them.
One Minute Management doesn’t really mean it will take you a minute to do all the kinds of things you need to do as a manager. It’s just a way to say that being a manager is not as complicated as it can seem.
- Influence and Control – Establishing the elements that managers should focus on if they want to be effective. A lot of management time is spent on things that are not within their influence. This section helps them re-focus.
- Traditional Management Styles – A review of traditional management and how one minute management allows managers to use the right behaviours for the situation.
- One Minute Managing Overview – Presenting the key elements of one minute managing using a YouTube video to get the message across.
- One Minute Goal Setting – Providing insight and tools into developing simple, quick yet effective goals with team members that helps them keep on track and focus on what they need to achieve. Includes Pareto’s Principle and SMART goals.
- One Minute Praises – Demonstrating that praises include praising employees immediately, telling them what they did right, how you feel about it and encouraging them to do more of the same.
- One Minute Redirect – Highlighting that One Minute Redirects are highly effective because the feedback is immediate, unlike annual reviews where you may be discussing events that took place months ago. If a mistake is pointed out as soon as it is made, it can easily be corrected.
- Running Game – A fun activity that reviews the key learning points and assesses what the participants have taken on board so far.
- Positional Leadership – Understanding that we should base our style of management on the situation and that we should use behaviours that best support and nurture our team. Includes a questionnaire to help participants identify the best style of management to use with different people and the relevant scenario.
Who should attend
Anyone who manages a team.
Requirements for Attendees