Teamwork is defined as a co-operative effort by a group or team to achieve a common goal.
This course has been put together to help develop participants’ team working skills. It will help them define a common goal, understand how they want to work together as a team and create an understanding of the behaviours required to develop better team performance. Therefore, it is relevant to all teams that require an element of teambuilding.
During the development of this course, it was consciously decided not to attempt to create a ‘bonding’ session nor to focus on team building as an ‘event’ that will leave attendees feeling positive about their work colleagues and sore from climbing trees! Instead, a pragmatic approach was taken and focused on the actions and understanding felt to be important to help teams appreciate the benefits of a teamwork approach.
Having said this, there are plenty of activities throughout the team building session that will engage and enlighten the participants and ensure they enjoy the experience of learning about what makes effective teams. The Team Building training materials focus on the areas outlined below.
- Team Health Check – This is delivered initially as pre-course work and forms the basis of the training. It helps participants focus on key areas of development within their teams
- Purpose and Direction of the Team – Helping the team develop a clear understanding of what it is they are trying to achieve whilst focusing on further team improvements
- Team Leadership – Sensitively looks at the issue of leadership within the team and what can be done to improve this area. Also highlights the importance of supporting the leaders of the team through honesty and strong communication
- Understanding Team Differences – Helping the team to value team differences and learn how to make the most of the skills, abilities and styles. It specifically highlights what individuals are willing to work towards for the betterment of the team
- Team Processes – Identifying the important team processes, where there can be improvements and what can be done to ensure the processes are working for the team rather than the other way round.
- Team Communication – A challenging activity that helps the team focus on the importance of everyone having input, being heard and being open and honest. There is also a review of key communication skills and what makes for positive communication.
- Relationships – A summarising session that works to apply the outputs from the day into actionable statements that the participants commit to.
This entire team building session revolves around developing actions and identifying improvements for the team.
Who should attend
Anyone who wants to better understand team dynamics, and how to become a more effective team member.
Requirements for Attendees